fedup: does not verify source

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 03:00:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-12-16 at 21:15 -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Björn Persson
> <bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
>         Except for Yum, which has for years been the only method that
>         was both
>         secure and practical anyway, but I agree. As long as people
>         are being
>         discouraged from upgrading by Yum because it's "unsupported",
>         removing
>         the only "supported" and secure upgrade method is definitely a
>         regression, and quite irresponsible.
>
> I have filed a ticket for FESCo's consideration on the fedup situation
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/982
>
> No ISO based or graphical upgrade by itself is a severe regression but
> having no supported upgrade path that is secure is I think is just
> unacceptable.

Why do we even need fedup ?

I already upgraded 2 machines with yum distro-sync w/o many issues[1].
I do not understand why there isn't work on making a yum plugin if
something out of the ordinary needs to be done to upgrade instead of
coming up with new tools every time.

Simo.

[1] One issue with policykit (on both machines) where it wouldn't work
and slow down login and many other operations resolved simply with 'yum
reinstall PolicyKit'

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York