fedup: does not verify source

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 06:58:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-12-16 at 22:00 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-12-16 at 21:15 -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Björn Persson
> > <bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
> >         Except for Yum, which has for years been the only method that
> >         was both
> >         secure and practical anyway, but I agree. As long as people
> >         are being
> >         discouraged from upgrading by Yum because it's "unsupported",
> >         removing
> >         the only "supported" and secure upgrade method is definitely a
> >         regression, and quite irresponsible.
> >
> > I have filed a ticket for FESCo's consideration on the fedup situation
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/982
> >
> > No ISO based or graphical upgrade by itself is a severe regression but
> > having no supported upgrade path that is secure is I think is just
> > unacceptable.
>
> Why do we even need fedup ?
>
> I already upgraded 2 machines with yum distro-sync w/o many issues[1].
> I do not understand why there isn't work on making a yum plugin if
> something out of the ordinary needs to be done to upgrade instead of
> coming up with new tools every time.

fedup essentially automates doing yum distro-sync across a reboot and in
an isolated environment, and provides an interface for hooking in any
kind of outside-of-yum-mucking-about we might need to do (like the /usr
move stuff). It's really just a slightly sophisticated framework to do
what you're suggesting.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey