Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Dec 21 14:17:26 UTC 2012

> On Fri, 21.12.12 05:38, Ralf Corsepius (rc040203 at freenet.de) wrote:

>>> Because libexec doesn't exist on most other distributions,
>> libexecdir is part of the GNU standards for ages.
>
> The "GNU standard" is kinda flawed and nobody uses that as 1:1.
Utter nonsense.

> I mean,
> /usr/etc? /usr/var?? /us/com???
"Defaults" == they need to be adapted to a specific distro's requirements.

> It's probably more interesting in looking at the more realistic
> "standards", such as FHS, and on what is actually really implemented,
> rather than on GNU which is really mostly theory... I mean, not even
> Debian as the distro closest to GNU follows much of that...
Read it again. It's a guideline distros need to adapt to their demands.

And guess what? All distros have done so, and RH also has done so until
this UseMove crap came alone and FUBARed Linux (I know your opinion
differs, but you will not be able to change my mind on it),

>> I disagree. systemd simply hasn't taken libexecdir into account in
>> its design and now is trying to propagate their oversight/mistake as
>> "standard" instead of making their works compliant with _our_
>> distro's demands.
>
> No, we just look around, and try to do something that is not specific to
> a distro, somewhat sane and follows the schemes of the established to
> the level where they make sense.
That's not how I perceive what you are doing.

You should start to consider that there are reasons behind how things
are - Many people have invested their brains into it for decades.

Ralf