Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 1 17:25:05 UTC 2012

Florian Müllner wrote:
> I can not comment on the quality of the library, but GNOME did comment
> on the spec[0] (or rather: several gnomers did) - there were a couple of
> objections, none of which have been addressed in the spec as far as I
> can tell.

The objections weren't addressed because they objected to the very point of
the spec, making it impossible to address them without defeating the purpose
of the spec.

One main design goal of the spec was that it should NOT be the app's job to
decide how exactly the icon will look, but the shell's. And it makes sense:
Look at how gnome-shell deprecated the system tray entirely because it
looked totally out of place there, and is forcing everyone who wants an icon
in the panel to implement a GNOME-specific shell extension in JavaScript.
Yet Plasma can deliver the same integrated look (supplying its own
monochrome icons and displaying its own Plasma-themed menus) for system tray
icons using the new status notifier spec (and the D-Bus menu spec for the
menus, though the status notifier spec predates the D-Bus menu spec and thus
also allows for displaying the menu in process). How would you be able to
adjust the presentation to the shell's design if the app tells you that it
wants some overlay placed at offset (5,7) of the icon as Dan Winship
requested?! Such a request just makes no sense whatsoever because the app
doesn't (and shouldn't!) even know how the icon and the overlay look like!
Offset (5,7) may work great with the desktop shell and theme you tested
with, but cover the most important part of the icon elsewhere! Yet when
Aaron Seigo and Marco Martin explained exactly that, the discussion just
dried off and GNOME decided to ignore the spec, when actually its design
would also make status notifiers much more useful for gnome-shell than the
XEmbed junk.

The status notifier spec was started by KDE and adopted by Canonical, it was
the opposite for the D-Bus menu spec. In both cases, KDE/Plasma and
Canonical/Unity cooperate nicely, only GNOME keeps doing its own,
incompatible thing. Cross-desktop status notifiers and native Plasma widgets
(plasmoids) can sit right next to each other in the Plasma system tray and
look and feel the same, why can't gnome-shell offer the same integrated
experience rather than deprecating everything other than gnome-shell-only
extensions?

        Kevin Kofler