Does the X server in Rawhide eat Control-Space?

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Wed Feb 8 17:24:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 06:05:14PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mer 8 février 2012 12:17, Richard W.M. Jones a écrit :
> >
> > After updating everything on my laptop to Rawhide (forced to by
> > usrmove) I noticed that emacs was no longer responding to
> > Control-Space for setting the mark.
> >
> > It seems like the X server itself is eating this key combination,
> > since emacs works fine in a virtual console, but doesn't work in any
> > terminal or directly under X.
>
> > It seems a bit odd that X would capture this key combination ...
>
> IIRC it's consumed by input method switching now (whatever the name is this year)
>
> I don't think it's a good idea, lots of stuff already grabbed this combo (IIRC
> some xkb maps do depend on ctrl+space)

  For example screen, where you cycle through windows by holding Ctrl and
pressing "a" and space alternatively. With ibus grabbing ctrl+space it
doesn't work.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia