/usrmove? -> about the future

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 10 17:21:38 UTC 2012

Am 10.02.2012 18:05, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 13:13 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Everyone on this list is well aware of the fact that you consider
> systemd a terrible failure because not every package in Fedora yet has
> systemd-native init scripts, but by the same token, it is clear that
> almost no-one agrees with you. On a solid practical level, I am not
> aware that systemd is currently the source of any major problems in
> Fedora 15, 16 or 17.

F15 was horrible broken
mysqld in F15 was horrible broken

F15 was the first Linux i saw where "reboot" did not
work until you typed "kill 1" while praying!

if no one agress that is unacceptable that init-system
is changed in F15 and F17 still contains not converted
services then no one knows how quality looks like

for me there are two options

* doing a change and doing it completly
* doing not the change at all

if maintainers can not be forced to convert their services
and maintain their packages properly the distribution lacks
needed authority - and NO freedom and do what you want does
not work always and in every context

> Personally, I quite simply don't agree with the entire foundation of
> your argumentation in this thread. You suggest that the rapid pace of
> feature development in general is causing terrible problems for the
> distro, and cite systemd and /usr move as examples; I simply don't see
> that your examples back up your contention.

as long as /usrmove requires something else than "yum distro-sync"
for a working upgrade the "feature" is broken at all

other examples from the past:

KDE4.0, put in a pre-alpha state in F9, completly unuseable
because someone HEARED it MAY be ready until end of GA cycle
someone heard, thought and expected that something is ready
is the wrong argument for decisions - if i want to pray i go
in a church. this has nothing to search in software-development

pulseuadio was horrible broken and did not work on any
of my machines for some releases

systemd is not finished until now and 20 releases behind upstream
in F15, half of the packages are not converted

your definition and my definition of quality are complete incompatible