/usrmove? -> about the future

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 17:36:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 08:28 -0900, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> > F15 was the first Linux i saw where "reboot" did not
> > work until you typed "kill 1" while praying!
>
> Can you point me to a bug report from you or anyone else that has been
> confirmed by at least one other person?
>
> I personally didn't experience that with the F15 systems I had. But
> maybe I got lucked and dodged a bullet.

Just upgraded an F14 machine to F15 yesterday via installing f15's
fedora-release and 'yum upgrade'.  I did experience this bug, but only
before I'd rebooted.  When the system was actually running F15 this
problem does not appear and restarts work fine.  But I did have to drop
to a VT and manually whack the system to get it to reboot; even
'poweroff' didn't do it.  Clearly that could be handled better, but
honestly, we don't support this type of upgrade.  Isn't our only
supported upgrade path via preupgrade, which I'm assuming would handle
this well?

In any case, badmouthing systemd for an upgrade bug where it actually
works fine *when you're really running F15* doesn't seem right.  I
wouldn't have had this problem if it'd installed off the Live CD or done
a fresh install.

Dan