/usrmove? -> about the future

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 18:15:06 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 19:02 +0100, Michal Schmidt wrote:
>> On 02/10/2012 07:00 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> > The one-time case - 'the first time you go from systemd X to systemd Y,
>> > the system won't shut down cleanly' - does seem to affect stable release
>> > upgrades, yeah.
>>
>> If anyone knows the values of X and Y where it's reproducible, please
>> let us know.
>
> Unfortunately I don't recall :( But it's definitely happened to me twice
> as I've tracked Rawhide on my desktop. I'll try and be more precise if
> it happens again; I always previously just assumed the devs knew about
> it.

What is the exact symptoms encapsulated in "not shutdown cleanly?"

-jef"Unrelated story:
This week I watched in horror as my wife's F16 desktop machine would
not depower. Selecting poweroff from g3 shell or gdm would cause it to
reboot.
front panel power button also caused a reboot instead of a power down.
 Repeatedly over and over again...frelling thing just refused to power
down.
Had to cut ac power to the computer (with no change in bios settings)
to get it to actually fully power off. Reapplied ac power, stayed off
like it was suppose to.  Front panel powered it on as expected.  Once
it experienced that  single full power off, subsequent power off
requests of all type worked again. No idea wtf was going on there.
"spaleta