/usrmove? -> about the future

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Feb 10 18:51:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 06:59:22PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 10.02.2012 18:52, schrieb Jef Spaleta:
> > Maybe you should file a bug report noting that yum upgrade worked for
> > you.  I personally think that is a bug. unsupported workflows should
> > be broken for all users
>
> idiotic statement
>
> yum-upgrade should be supported because it works normally
> much smoother than a horrible Anaconda/Preupgrade if someone
> did not a mistake

It's not supported precisely because of the sort of issues you see.
"This set of problems you've deemed intractable causes me pain, and I
refuse to use the solution you've decided on" isn't a convincing
argument. Yes, it'd be lovely if yum distro-sync could be guaranteed to
work. But it can't, and it won't, and if you insist on using it anyway
then you don't get to complain about it being broken unless you're
personally stepping up to fix it.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org