Apple will use LLVM

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 09:56:59 UTC 2012

> On 02/16/2012 10:08 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>
> >   Not to mention that the kernel devs use gcc to compile the kernel -
> > and it most certainly puts a lot of pressure on the compiler. I suspect
> > unless linus drops gcc as well, we'll at a minimum need to keep it to
> > build the kernel itself.
>
> Not quite.  LLVM can be used to build the kernel and what Linus does
> doesn't matter as much (kernel is important but only one component) as
> showing that Fedora on the whole will actually benefit from moving to
> LLVM.  For that,  LLVM has to so much better than GCC and someone has to
> do the work within Fedora to show that it is the case. ....

<needless-rant-please-ignore>
It's very unfortunate that this high standard of requirements for
disruptive changes in Fedora wasn't properly applied to some of the
recent disruptive changes. Particularly the very recent unnamed
disruptive change in Fedora 17.
</needless-rant-please-ignore>
--
Tomas Mraz