rawhide/F17 broken dependencies: please stop spamming

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:19:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:48:37 -0800, TK (Toshio) wrote:

> The orphan packages are more varied.  Originally, there were packages that
> had been orphaned for many releases.  I believe that now we're cleaning up
> all orphaned packages at each release branching so this may not be as much
> the case. There could still be packages that were orphaned for up to
> 6 months, missing out on all of a new releases pre-alpha period of
> development.  Not sure that this is that much of a concern, though.

And nevertheless, this thread is also about an orphan within F-17:

  # yum install insight
  [...]
  --> Finished Dependency Resolution
  Error: Package: insight-6.8.1-5.fc17.x86_64 (fedora)
             Requires: iwidgets

The missing requirement had built successfully for the Fedora_17_Mass_Rebuild

If no volunteers show up and adapt this package and its build
requirements, it will remain broken. Or somebody cleans up F-17 once more
prior to its final release and _retires_ packages like this one.

Is it too easy to create orphans so late in the process?
Is it too easy to create orphans without telling anyone about it?

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.0-0.rc3.git7.2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.55 0.25 0.20