Bad coding practices in Fedora packages

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:00:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also discovered that three different tracker processes were running
> in my xfce desktop!  However since I don't see a need for them for me,
> nor do I want them, it was relatively easy to prevent them from
> executing on desktop startup by going to The Applications menu, then
> Settings->"Session and Startup" and under the "Application Autostart"
> tab then switch off "Tracker File System Miner", "Tracker Store" and
> "Tracker Miner for Flickr" as three separate switches - after that
> there are no tracker processes running after the next login.....  and
> if necessary the cache files can be removed as well.

Annoyingly, I also have tracker processes on KDE.  You'd think the
GNOME apps that need that stuff could use KDE's bits, and vice versa,
given that they their both based on Nepomuk.  *sighs*

> I guess there are analogous switches in KDE too that might help make
> KDE actually work as a much snappier desktop? In fact I abandonned KDE
> for xfce because it was simply too slow logging in for my liking. All
> this in f16 but others may have a different experience of course?
>
> If this makes KDE a usable desktop again I might even try it when I
> have a bit of spare time!

For desktop search specifically, go to System Settings > Desktop
Search and uncheck everything on the first tab.  KDE's equivalent to
GNOME's "Session and Startup" is the "Startup and Shutdown" panel in
System Settings, so you can disable other unwanted services too.

I feel like I'm the only Fedora user on the planet who actually does
like desktop search.  I love that I can press ALT+F2 and play a movie
or e-mail somebody just as easily as I've always opened programs from
there.  IMHO, it beats trawling through even the most well organized
directory structure.

The problem with it for most of us is we have gobs of crap in $HOME,
so it takes a lot of juice and space to index it all.  If you
configure it to only search in places where desktop search is actually
beneficial, it uses a lot less resources, and the signal-to-noise
ratio is such that its much more useful.

-T.C.