Removing SysV Init Scripts

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 13 23:32:25 UTC 2012

Am 14.01.2012 00:27, schrieb Sérgio Basto:
> On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 22:51 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> I'm not so sure how you figure out that this bug is not valid and how
>> you come to the conclusion that it's not a requirement to switch to
>> native systemd units and still shipping legacy sysv init script is
>> already considered obsolete [1]
>>
>> "Older versions of Fedora supported SystemV-style initscripts, but
>> they are now considered obsolete for Fedora 15+."
>>

>> And since this is the attitude we should be forcing that migration
>> this release cycle maintainers have already had two full release
>> cycles to migrate...
>
> Since systemd works well with SystemV, in a efficient way (my opinion)

because it is dirty to mix systemd/sysv over the long

service-dependencies are ugly
commands are inconsistent (chkconfig --list)

> I don't see, why we can't use SystemV anymore and specifically in cases
> like upstream still use that.

because if you switch the whole init-system it should be
done in a clean way and it is BAD practice to mix this
now for several years because no real reason

what exactly is the problem to convert a existing
sysv-init script to a systemd-unit

the main question is: why does anyboyd discouss only one
minute about this instead DO IT in this wasted time?

sicne the release of F15 it have been finished long
time ago if peopole DO instead question "why?"