Requesting a change to the BugStatusWorkFlow: Closed/UPSTREAM

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 15:22:41 UTC 2012

On 20.1.2012 13:20, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> That's a fantastic idea, and probably an ideal solution. Unfortunately,
> we're also talking about a minimum of several months' work to get that
> in place, just on the engineering side. Not including the deployment
> testing period.

Sure. Just to note that the email (and bugs) is old couple of years.

>>    * BugZappers more or less failed to do any meaningful change in the
>> state of our Bugzilla (that's to the large part my failure, but that's
>> how it is) and there is just too few of them,
>
> I'm not sure about what you meant here.

That what you want from package maintainers is basically to do manually
what I have described above. Which is fine for a component with five
bugs, but for components like kernel, Firefox, or some of major Gnome
components with hundreds of open bugs (on the top of other problems
components infested with ABRT bugs), it means hundreds of hours of work
(I know what I am talking about, I was doing this work for couple of
years). We hoped that those hundreds of hours could be provided by
BugZappers, but it didn't happen.

Also, should developers spend those hours on cleaning bugzilla so that
you will be happy, or should they work on fixing bugs? It is not popular
to say, but bugzilla is here not for users, but it is primarily tool for
developers to organize their work. And frankly, if developers find it
useless, too bad for anybody else. Just saying.

Matěj
</rant> ... the rest of this thread goes to /dev/null for me, except of
questions which I can in my opinion usefully comment on.