The question of rolling release?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jan 24 16:01:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:53:32 +0100
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 24.01.2012 15:48, schrieb Rahul Sundaram:

> >>    systemd 26 vs 37/38 ... tho you're right yes there were/are some
> >> damage control fixes ... which is the point - in a rolling release
> >> model things like this would (should) get the proper attention
> >> they need, instead of moving focus on to the 'next release' ...
> >
> > You are ridding on thin ice here.  systemd gets many many updates.
> > Claiming that it doesnt receive proper attention is very much
> > unsubstantiated.  I think you should go back on this claim.
>
> where are they for F15?
>
> systemd-26-14.fc15
> systemd-37-9.fc16
>
> this is BAD because the version in F15 was a really EARLY state
> services for F16 like cups rely on systemd-features that do NOT
> exist in F15 - so you have no chance converting sysv to systemd
> in an easy way on your F15 installation
>
> this is NOT "receive proper attention"

You are blindly looking at version numbers here. ;)

Take a look at the number of patches where fixes and other enhancements
have been backported to the F16/F15 packages:

https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/systemd

(Use the Fedora 16 release from the pulldown there).

The maintainer(s) are backporting those items that are safe to
backport.

kevin