UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 09:29:46 UTC 2012

On 01/26/2012 02:34 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:48:27PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> So I saw a rpm update and a number of other builds today when dealing
>> with various packaging bits. Checking the update [1] and reading the
>> attached bug [2] I was a little shocked to find that "yum upgrade"
>> between releases would be explicitly broken due to this feature.
>>
>> Yes, I know that it's not officially recommended as a means of
>> upgrading and never been QAed it has been generally supported and
>> expected to work [4] for as long as I can remember.
>>
>> The thing that is annoying me is that this change has not been
>> explicitly mentioned in the "Feature" [3], it does no appear in the
>> FAQ on the feature and I don't remember it ever being bought up in the
>> discussions about the feature although I admit I probably have missed
>> some of the discussion. Has this side effect of the feature been
>> discussed at all? Can someone point me to a thread?
>>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/690#comment:8
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/118
>
> IIRC from the discussion in FPC meetings, there should be a way to make yum
> upgrades work but you'd first have to boot up specially and run an initial
> upgrade script:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17
>
> If the Feature Owners have progressed to the implementing stae, I would
> greatly appreciate them updating that page with the actual step-by-step to
> perform the upgrade (which will also allow people to test that things work).
>
> I also agree with your point that this discussion should be reflected on the
> Feature page (Since the Feature page is where marketing material is taken
> from).  Could that be updated as well?
>
> -Toshio

I wonder where is mentioned the change of guidelines. I didn't find at
[1]. Should we stop using /bin in our new packages now or when?
I really feel that this change is not well communicated and well planned.
I hope someone from FPC will give us an update on changes in packaging.

[1] fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines

Marcela