UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 26 11:40:05 UTC 2012

Am 26.01.2012 12:29, schrieb Greg:
> On 26/01/2012 8:58 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> where is the improvement or does anything get better if things
>> worked for years got damaged? you definition of improvement
>> must have a bug!
>
> first thing. i agree that the Linux Filesystem needs to be cleaned up.

have i said something against this?
no, i speak about the HOW!

> but here's my point. lets say your downloading a upgrade and the upgrade gets
> to 87% and your power goes out for some time. what are you gonna do then?

reboot and start again - yes i had this case in the past
"yum-complete-transaction" and "package-cleanup" is your friend

a small UPS does not cost too much an prevents from such cases
but to be honesty - have a power outage while dist-upgrade
is like win in the lottery

> you'll come to the mailing list and say my yum upgrade doesnt work.

WTF - who will do this in the case of a power outage

and what the hell does a upgrade with DVD if your power goes down?
there is no difference to a yum upgrade - you have a undefined state

so please stop with such senseless arguments!