UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 12:14:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:42:15PM +1100, Greg wrote:
> On 26/01/2012 7:31 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >Live CDs cannot be used to upgrade existing systems.
> >
> >As for the DVD, it does not include the updates repository when doing
> >upgrades (you can only add additional repositories for fresh installations),
> >which means the process is completely broken due to the inevitable upgrade
> >path issues. (You have to run "yum update" after the DVD upgrade to fix
> >these, and that's if yum isn't affected by the upgrade path issues, which it
> >sometimes is, e.g. it was for Fedora 11.) As I've already stated multiple
> >times, the DVD MUST be fixed to include the updates repository for upgrades
> >(and yes, that means offline upgrades are not possible, they're just not
> >supportable; and yes, if Anaconda still doesn't support any networking other
> >than basic wired Ethernet, that needs to be fixed, too); as is, DVD upgrades
> >are totally unsupportable.
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
>
> as i will say again i have no problems downloading a LiveCD or a
> DvD. if i have had 1 DE installed i'll download a LiveCD only rather
> than a DvD, some people havent got the bandwidth to download a DvD.

And yet others do not have to download either of them, because there
already is (was) a perfectly reasonable way to perform an upgrade
without it.

> i have used a LiveCD in the past without a problem. im suspecting a
> lot download a LiveCD just to install KDE or Gnome, once that's
> installed they then yum the rest. i dont see anything wrong with
> this Feature Fedora/Redhat want by moving all the binaries to /usr .

"Fedora" is not some abstract entity with dictatorial powers. Fedora are
the people who contribute to it. And they have the right to speak up
when they do not like something, whether _you_ like it or not.

> if one doesnt like it then all i can suggest is move to a different
> Distro.

This thread is not questioning the feature itself but the way it is
being done.

> just because it's gonna interupt people from using " yum
> upgrade dist or whatever. this is the 21st century yanno.

Exactly. CDs/DVDs are thing of the past, online update is the way to go.
So it is questionable why we need to return to the past...

> technology
> does improve or get better. however if you wanna complain to kevin i
> can buy you a box of tissues. whether this feature gets pushed in
> F17 or a later release its gonna be something you cant stop.

Again, this is not about stopping it but doing it in the least
disruptive way.

Btw, if you are not able to talk in reasonably polite manner, it would
be better if you did not talk at all.

D.