Heads up: Rebuild for Ruby 1.9.3

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 06:56:21 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 01/27/2012 12:21 PM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
>

> > Yes, we are of course trying to push the patches upstream, but it
> > is a bit problematic, since the upstream says, that this is an
> > FHS-specific issue and they only want to do general solutions -
> > see [1] for the discussion.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/210
>
> That's not quite what upstream says and I think we can move this
> forward
> if you rope in the ruby maintainers from other major distributions
> and
> get broader support.  Meanwhile, using this patch downstream seems
> unwarranted since there is no urgent need to fix this.
>
> Rahul

Citing Zenspider [1]:

"Other platforms don't care about FHS and it shouldn't be the default." So it is what the upstream says and I don't think that packagers from other distributions would help us. For example, people from Debian/Ubuntu install Gems under /var/lib/gems [2], which doesn't really make sense to us. What we really need is a support of Ruby developers, not packagers. We are still working in the issue and hopefully, we will come up with something that would be acceptable by Rubygems developers.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.

[1] https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/210#issuecomment-2624262