Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-07-23)

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Jul 24 21:17:46 UTC 2012

On 07/24/2012 11:35 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I don't understand this feature at all! Freetype already uses auto-hinting
> for fonts which do not provide hinting data, in fact that was one of the
> prerequisites for enabling the bytecode interpreter in Fedora, and I cherry-
> picked the relevant change from the huge Infinality patchset and got it
> upstreamed. Forcing auto-hinting for all fonts effectively means disabling
> the bytecode interpreter by default, which is surely not a good idea.

It also turns every font into a blurry mess. This is not a subjective
opinion. Run the listed command on the Feature Page for DejaVu and
Liberation fonts (two of the biggest free fonts). With the current
free-type environment you have crisp, clean fonts. Enable auto-hinting
and every character becomes blurred including a simple exclamation mark
that is a single line of pixels.

It is unfortunate FESCo members blindly +1'd this feature without a bit
of evidence or thought. Yes, I read the meeting log. It took just three
minutes to pass.

Do I need to file a ticket to get this feature revoked?