[HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 1 22:44:22 UTC 2012

Am 02.06.2012 00:24, schrieb PƔdraig Brady:
> On 06/01/2012 08:56 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> HERE AGAIN THE FULL QUTOE TO GET BACK CONTEXT!

>>> thank you for breaking setups of well thought virtual machines
>>> on expensive SAN storages with a as small as possible rootfs
>>> with a own virtual disk for /tmp with new defaults
>
> So what if _existing_ systems write to /var/tmp in the above setup?
> /var/tmp is there already so it needs to be handled.
> Seems like you should link /var/tmp to /tmp to handle that.
> And/Or you should probably set TMPDIR=/tmp system wide to enforce
> this non standard setup.
>
> If you do that, then as well as closing the existing loophole,
> you make the system immune to future changes in this area
> as apps should honor $TMPDIR before using their defaults of
> /var/tmp or /tmp or /whatever

i for myself do this as example on my workstation all the time
because i know exactly how to deal with my setups and that is
why i survived all dist-upgrades from FC6 to F16 with yum

the majority of users does not know much about their system

but we are speaking here about a GLOBAL DEFAULT for all
users and change of a OS-behavior without a real improvement
should be a no-go in cases where the overall impact tends
to make things worser - this is the microsoft way!

nobody can imagine how many setups will be randomly broken with
this change and how long it takes that the admins of this systems
recognize what leads to wired problems from time to time

so the main question remains: why do we randomly change things
for a little theoretical improvement while only the work of
package-maintainers and increased bugreports destroy the
improvement at all?

i will not buy the argument SSD disk because a common page
with tips for opĆ¼timization showing the line for /etc/fstab
and explain the impacts could do the same without change
the os behavior for everybody

/mnt/data/.tmp  /tmp       none  bind
/mnt/data/.tmp  /var/tmp   none  bind

simply because /mnt/data is /dev/md2 and a RAID10 with 4 TB
and my /dev/md1 is only for the rootfs what is a major win
for backups or cloning machines efficient