*countable infinities only

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 22:09:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> You're fine with one level of injustice. I'm fine with another level of
> injustice. Both compromise the freedoms that Fedora currently gives you.

I'm not fine with it. It's an unfortunate situation too. But producing
a single special case trivial display program for users who couldn't
run anything which was truly free at all is hardly comparable to
cryptographically locking down the core of an OS— millions of lines of
code written by other people, and missing an opportunity to help users
regain their complete freedom at a time when they are most ready and
willing to accept a little inconvenience.

You've made the argument that we didn't choose the lockdown the
systems— Microsoft and the OEMs have.  Fine.  But it is we who will be
choosing to restrict Fedora in that environment rather than only a
trivial help-text shim.

I gave extensive argument on several aspect of the balance which I
believe fall in favor not adopting cryptographic lockdown in Fedora.
I'm not opposing cryptographically locking the kernel on a simple
blind principle of software freedom, and so I do not reject the
alternative of a help screen for equally weak reasons.