another upgrade, another disaster

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Jun 4 20:52:25 UTC 2012

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Given that I was stating my personal opinion on the message we should
> communicate to the general user population about which upgrade methods
> are most likely to work with the least tweaking, though, I'm not sure
> what relevance your personal qualms about buying optical media have to
> do with anything. It's not like I said we should disable yum upgrades.

You wanted to "more strongly recommended that people do DVD/netinst upgrades".
By recommending this we'd be encouraging users to buy more optical media and
thereby give more money to the copyright lobby. Given that freedom is one of
Fedora's core values I don't think we should encourage people to give money to
organizations that are fighting to take freedom away from the Internet.

It's unfortunate if the ethically better upgrade methods are more likely to
fail, but if we'd always do what is most likely to work then we'd also be
shipping unfree device drivers and patented codecs.

Note 1: I don't know exactly how widespread this private tax on storage media
is, but I'm fairly sure it exists in many more countries than just Sweden.

Note 2: Yes there are reusable optical media, so user's don't need to buy new
discs every time they upgrade Fedora. None the less, the more people use
optical media, the more optical media will be sold in total, and the more
money will flow to the copyright lobby.

Björn Persson