another upgrade, another disaster

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 23:42:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 10:03:24AM +0200, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> * 3rd attempt:
> >> Same as options as the 2nd attempt but this time I chose to enable
> >> only the F17 remote repositories and I disabled the "Install repo" so
> >> I presume all the packages were downloaded from the net. At about 85%
> >> of installation I got a kernel panic - this time I took care of the
> >> message "unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
> >> 0000000000000088".
> >
> > Frankly, I wouldn't trust your hardware.

ditto. Kernel panics are not normal :) The above info isn't enough to
track down what caused it, we need a picture of the screen.

[snip]

> Everything can be and I will run memtest as you advised.
>
> But I didn't had any kernel problem in the past - and I've used every
> Fedora release on the same PC for about 4 years. After I could bypass
> this problem - I could install the system, including I think all the
> RPMs anaconda was trying to install without any problem. Note that I
> don't run the same kernel used by anaconda because in fedora updates
> there is available a newer one.

Things work, until they don't. It is interesting that a minimal install
worked though. I would suspect bad ram as a possibility.

> Anyway, in case I hit this issue again, I would be interested to know
> how to get the log of this kind of error.

If it isn't a kernel panic you can get all the logs from Anaconda from
/tmp/*log -- switch to tty2 and you will have a shell where you can copy
them off the system. File a bug and attach the files as individual
text/plain attachments.

Failure to read the install media usually shows up as errors in syslog.