glusterfs rename

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 23:59:10 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 07:56 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Peter Robinson<pbrobinson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that glusterfs would be automatically carried
>>> forward from f17 into f18, as it apparently was from f16 into f17.
>> It will be carried forward but a major change of features and
>> enhancements is worth doing a feature page to advertise the feature
>> improvements (see the gnome feature page as an example[1] ), it's
>> something for marketing to use and allows you to also detail things
>> like the removal or merge of HekaFS.
>>
>>> F18 builds (of 3.2.6) are already available in koji. Until now I haven't
>>> heard that a feature page is needed for 3.2.x (or 3.3.x) to be included in
>>> f18. (But how to deprecate HekaFS on f18 once the glusterfs-3.3.0 build is
>>> available.)
>> See above for feature page details. For deprecate HekaFS you add the
>> the appropriate obsoletes/provides as necessary to the gluster package
>> and follow the process for removing/obsoleteing a package in the wiki.
>>
>>> The features that are in HekaFS (in f16 and f17) will get merged into
>>> glusterfs-3.3.1+, as I indicated previously, but I won't promise how many of
>>> them will be there when f18 ships. We certainly hope that all of them will
>>> be, but we aren't making any promises.
>> So that's something that can be documented in a feature page in the
>> wiki and updated as things progress through both the gluster devel
>> process and the fedora release process :)
> Okay, as a slightly more detailed version:
>
> You should follow the full feature process, to be put in the
> FeatureList for F18.  If you want to see what that process looks like,
> you probably want to look at this diagram:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Process
>
> And make your feature page according to the template noted on that
> wiki page, and submit it to the feature wrangler (via a wiki category
> change) so that they can have it approved by fesco, at which point it
> can be added to the actual feature list :)
>
> -robyn

The short version of this is that HekaFS used to be an independent set of
features on top of glusterfs that are now moving into the core of glusterfs.
That is a glusterfs community decision, not a fedora project per se.

When we update the gluster code in Fedora, we will get this change and the
hekafs packages will be obsolete.

Do we really need to create a feature page for that and follow the approval
process?

Seems too heavy weight to me for effectively rebasing a package...

thanks!

Ric