*countable infinities only

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 14:22:55 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 09:00 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
> This is MS classic ploy against free software embrace and extend. First it
> will be it can be disabled then for windows 9 if you want to have approved
> hardware MS will require, like ARM, x86 secure boot can not be disabled and
> they will point to Fedora and say see it is not necessary that we need to be
> able to turn off secure boot, free software like Fedora works just fine with
> it enabled.

This seems like a pretty unlikely scenario. You have to disable secure boot
to perform most kernel-level debugging operations in Windows 8. It'd alienate
pretty much the entire OEM community for Windows add-on card drivers, pretty
much all major enterprise customers, and all computer science departments that
use windows for any OS program, just as some examples. Microsoft knows it
needs these people.

While I admit it makes sense for them to work on generic ways to do the kinds
of debugging tasks, with Secure Boot enabled, that enterprise customers perform
to make their production systems run better, that's certainly not going to
happen any time soon, if at all.

--
         Peter