*countable infinities only

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 17:59:03 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 01:48 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>> No offense, but you seem to have a very unusual idea about how much leverage
>> Fedora has anywhere. Why would hardware vendors listen to a community
>> distribution that they never preinstall, have no plans to preinstall, and
>> brings them absolutely no money?
>
> MJG was saying that (some?) vendors were willing/interested to install
> a Fedora/Redhat key but that the belief was that leveraging the MSFT
> process a better outcome due to the cost of running an equivalent
> service to MSFT's.
>
> ::shrugs::
>
> How can we know our strength if we do not try?

Quit trying to have it both ways, Greg. If we get vendors to let us ship a
Red Hat key - and to be clear, it was a *Red Hat* key that's been offered
to be shipped - then we're putting forked projects and stuff in a
significantly worse position. This is no "put up $99 and you're in", it's
"become a market leader and develop contacts at each vendor and maybe they'll
be nice to you".

That's *far* worse for free software.

--
        Peter