Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 18 02:55:44 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-16 21:08, Ben Rosser wrote:
> It seems to me that we should make the boot menu more consistent
> somehow. I feel like the simplest solution is just to run grub2-mkconfig
> at every kernel update, and stop using grubby for this. Then everything
> would look consistent- the "Fedora Linux" boot option would have the
> latest kernel and all kernels would always be listed under the
> submenu. (As far as I know, this would just be a change to the kernel
> specfile, right?).

Fedora's EC2 images require grub-legacy configuration files to boot due
to EC2's reliance on pvgrub to boot kernels that reside on virtual
machines' disks.  As a result, making kernel packages exclusively call
grub2-mkconfig when they install would likely result in cloud instances
with updated kernels that, unbeknownst to the instances' owners, never run.