Replacing grubby with grub2-mkconfig in kernel install process

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 21:37:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

> pvgrub peeks into the guest disk so it needs to understand the partition
> table, the filesystem and the grub config file in the guest. Initially it
> didn't handle things like ext4, grub2 and EFI but AFAIK these should be
> fine now. I'm not sure what Amazons host systems use but hopefully they run
> a relatively modern version of pvgrub.

pv-grub is basically a copy of grub1 that is loaded into the guest by the
base system, so no software is needed in the guest only the
configuration. I don't know what Amazon are using but there are definitely
patches available that add ext4 and btrfs support. I am not aware of any
grub2 patches.

This is no to be confused with pygrub, which is a python script run in the
base domain. It looks into the guest file system, parses the
configuration, extracts the right kernel and init file, then loads them
into the guest with the relevant configuration. The latest versions of
this do understand grub2 configuration and EFI.

 	Michael Young