Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 23 10:29:29 UTC 2012

drago01 wrote:
> (empty dvd costs little to no more then a cd now days)

FWIW, a CD-R90 actually costs more than a DVD-R or a DVD+R around here these
days. (It used to cost significantly less back in the day.)

> So I'd just opt for not worrying about CDs anymore. The only real
> argument for CD sized images is download time but using Fedora without
> a proper internet connection is no fun anyway (updates) so not sure
> that matters either ...

Download times are not the only reason for not going up to the full
(> 4 GiB) DVD size, though IMHO they are also a valid reason. There's also
the Multi Desktop Live DVD distributed by the ambassadors, which needs to
fit all the spins in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on one dual-layer DVD.
So going up to 4 GiB per spin is a no go.

Combined with your point above, this means we really need to allow arbitrary
target sizes, not just a list of maximum sizes of hardware media.

        Kevin Kofler