User session printing

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 13:46:42 UTC 2012

> Tim Waugh (twaugh at redhat.com) said:
> > For things like cloud printing, where the print server is a hosted
> > service somewhere out in the Internet, I think the applications should
> > be talking directly to it (via the print dialog).
> >
> > For a plain network printer, where the printer might not be able to
> > accept the job while it's busy processing others, you might have to
> > queue the job and retry it later.  So if you are doing that as a user
> > process, how should that work when you log out, and when the machine is
> > restarted?
>
> It waits until you log in again.

I wonder if that works with longer print jobs:

- User: "I'll kick that one off before the weekend, it might take a
while, so that I won't disturb others."
- (User's) cupsd: queues the job in user's home, starts printing onto
the printer.
- User logs off after 15 pages of 300 are printed.
- systemd kills off all processes in user session cgroup, including
cupsd.
- User: "Aiiieh!", heads off into the weekend as he has to catch a bus,
forgets about it.
- User returns after the weekend, logs in again, cupsd picks up the
still queued print job from user's home, starts printing the remaining
285 pages.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty