FC17alpha, evolution, ati card, kernel 3.3.0-rc6 and me going crazy...

Peter A loony at loonybin.org
Thu Mar 8 03:56:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

I think I'm losing my mind. I recently got stuck with a Dell M6600. Its
a really nice machine but when I installed F17 from the alpha dvd and
updated it over the weekend, graphics was insanely slow (e.g. 1920x1080
screen with just 4 open terminals would take 3 seconds to shift focus
from one terminal to the next). Today's kernel update to 3.3.0-rc6 fixes
the performance but now I have an even crazier issue.

The issue effects only Evolution it seems - all other software I tried
works fine (that's anything from firefox to libreoffice to gimp to
ancient stuff like xv from an rpm built in 99). My desktop is KDE with
OpenGL rendering but most effects turned off.

The issue results in the tree menu showing the mail boxes on the left
being shifted about 75px up. However, the cursor location (e.g.
highlighted folder when drag and drop) is what the screen should be. In
other words, I need to move the cursor about 75px further down to select
the correct folder. I wanted to talk to some friends about this so I
took a screenshot - and the screenshot shows up perfect.
(http://www.loonybin.org/evo1.jpg) However, if I do a screengrab of the
root window, the corruption is visible.
(http://www.loonybin.org/evo2.jpg). Both screenshots were taken less
than a second apart with import.

So who do you think the problem lies with?

Application? Evolution doesn't seem to be the issue since I can open
Xnest and then start evolution there and it draws correctly. It also
looks fine on the screen shot when I import just that one window...
xorg driver? I downgraded to the previous xorg rpm
(xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.14.3-10.20120206git36c190671.fc17.x86_64) without
change...
Kernel? I rebooted into -rc5 without change... Everything went back to
being dead slow - but the evolution issue stayed...
KDE/kwin compositing? There were kde updates since the last time it
worked and when it broke... Today's updates to 4.8.1 didn't make a
difference either.
Leaves us with either user error (always a possibility) or there is
something else going on...

Any suggestions?

Peter.

--