User session printing

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 09:46:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 09:52 -0900, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> 2012/3/8 Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz>:
> > The lazy answer to both is "fail, or not, the same way as cups
> > currently fails, or not" (in fact, could the session printing service
> > simply be cups that treats the system instance as another remote
> > server?).
>
> If we were looking for the lazy answer, we'd just not bother with queing at all.

Yes, exactly, and that is what I'm suggesting.  For printing entirely in
the user session it is a case of using an alternative to using CUPS
running on the local machine, so that means:

a) no filters or drivers; the job document is the PDF produced by the
application/print dialog

b) no queueing; submit the job directly to the print server, and if that
fails then explain why immediately

Tim.
*/