This "karma" stuff is a pain!

John Ellson john.ellson at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 16:15:50 UTC 2012

On 03/16/2012 05:13 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le jeudi 15 mars 2012 à 12:49 -0400, John Ellson a écrit :
>> Can we just generate "karma" from a comment in bugzilla please?  Having
>> to find some other weird place to indicate that a fix "works for me" is
>> a real pain.
> Have you tried fedora-easy-karma ?
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Easy_Karma

This is supposed to be easy?
        "Run fedora-cert, included with fedora-easy-karma as a
dependency, to set up a certificate with your FAS credentials. "

I'm sure "karma" is useful to Release-Engineering.   I just think the
scope is wrong for a bug reporter.

Take, for example:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/NetworkManager-0.9.3.995-0.6.git20120314.fc17

The update contains fixes for three problems:  800690, 798102, 802540

I contributed to the first bug, 800690, and duly tested and reported
"works for me", but I had no involvement in the other two, so I'm not in
a position to judge their "karma".

I think these release updates should automatically gain partial, per-bug
karma from "works for me" in the bug reports.

"karma" for the update in total needs to come from people in a
"release-engineering" role, rather than people in a "bug
reporting/fixing/testing role".

I agree that people using an "update testing" repository are reasonable
candidates for the "release-engineering" role, but "bug
reporting/fixing/testing" role doesn't require "update testing".   The
bugs fixes might be tested directly from koji, or from some private
builds, or even from local patching.

I am trying to be constructive here.  We're all busy people.  I just
think that "karma" is outside of a reasonable workflow for a bug reporter.

John