RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 20:48:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:05:20AM -0700, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 03/20/2012 10:44 AM, drago01 wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Brendan Conoboy<blc at redhat.com>  wrote:
> >>Please, please, no.  Cross compilation for Fedora cannot and will not ever
> >>get a secondary arch to primary.  We're talking man-decades of engineering
> >>time to solve all the problems.  Decades.
> >
> >Sorry I am not buying that.
>
> Because you have vast experience to the contrary?  Look, even x86_64
> is topping out on speed and moving to a more-core and
> more-systems-per-rack model.  Cross compilation solves yesterday's
> problem, not tomorrow's. If build speed truly is a fundamental issue
> to becoming PA the answer is to harness multiple systems for a
> single build, not to use a somewhat faster system to make up for the
> speed of a somewhat slower system. Scaling across more cores than
> fit in a single SMP Linux environment is the only sensible approach
> to future build speedups.

This is a sound observation, but it doesn't apply to Fedora on ARM
unless you can demonstrate a system where rpmbuild scales well across
multiple ARM cores/servers/whatever.

I would suggest -- in order to move the present discussion on -- that
you try using various methods to speed up an ARM build of (eg) glibc.
distcc, some sort of demo cross-compilation, etc.  What works, what
doesn't work, what needs more work?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/