ARM as a primary architecture

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 17:54:31 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 04:26 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Actually that is not the case, it might be the case in the western
> developed world, but in the developing world in places like China,
> India and Africa in most cases the first an only device that a user
> has is a smart phone or tablet due to the fact it's low power, runs
> off batteries and has wireless connectivity, I think you'll find the
> sale of these style of devices in those places out flanks everything
> else, they are selling 100s of millions of them.

Indeed- it's even true in the US.  I don't actually have a desktop- I
have a laptop with a docking station- 2 monitors, quad core i7, 12GB of
RAM.  The next generation of this device will either be faster, smaller,
a tablet, or cost less- possibly all 4.  This won't stop until mobile
phones and/or tables are dockable desktop computers.  The high end will
be servers that double as power-user desktops.  There is literally no
reason for anything in-between.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com