Fwd: Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 27 17:37:34 UTC 2012

Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> This discussion started on the "board" list yet I know a lot of developers
> have an opinion on the topic.

Indeed. I and several others have pointed out this exact problem with the
"Beefy Miracle" release name (namely that it is offensive to most of India)
ever since it was first proposed for Fedora 16 (!). The proponents of the
idiotic name just wouldn't listen. Nor did the fact that the name was voted
down for Fedora 16 help, as it was just reproposed for Fedora 17 (and would
probably have been reproposed again and again if it had kept losing).

FWIW, I'll also point out that it does not make sense to propose the same
release name for 2 consecutive releases, because the rules say there MUST be
a link between the names for Fedora n and n+1 and there MUST NOT be a link
for Fedora n and n+2. Refiling the release name for Fedora 17 amounts to an
admission that the link used for Fedora 16 (which was a completely
artificial "link" based on applying a nonsensical digest to the ASCII values
of the letters) was invalid, which in turn makes the link used for Fedora 17
("both proposed release names for Fedora 16") also moot. Yet the name was
waved through twice despite the blatantly nonsensical links, while much more
reasonable release names were often discarded due to the links (e.g. because
they weren't of the expected "is-a (same superclass)" type).

My proposal is to just stop using release codenames NOW, including removing
the name for Fedora 17 (and possibly even outright issue an apology for
having used the offensive release name in prereleases). (As for the artwork:
Either rename it or just revert to the Verne artwork.)

(And I personally have nothing against eating beef, I eat it myself. Though
I don't like hot dogs. ;-) )

        Kevin Kofler