Booting Fedora from LVM with grub2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 18:14:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 21:16 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Ummmmmm ... okay.
> >
> > Any particular reason?
>
> Kickstarts are not very user-friendly nor convenient (unless you have
> several machines to install with identical installs, which is what they were
> invented for).
>
> > Any other plans to make the current situation better?
>
> Even QA-wise, I don't think making such a feature kickstart-only would
> improve the situation at all, it'd reduce the testing it gets by a lot.

It's worth bearing in mind there's a giant anaconda UI rewrite still
pending, which entirely redesigns the storage configuration GUI. One of
the other major changes is that it makes all installations
kickstart-driven. The GUI will just produce a kickstart file, which
anaconda will then process to perform the actual install.

It's not a direct response to any of the points raised so far, but it's
worth bearing in mind while you're having this argument that F18
anaconda is going to look drastically different from F17 anaconda.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey