Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon May 7 16:10:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 17:50 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:

>  * Opinions to this item significantly differ but minidebuginfo-only
>    backtraces are in many (IMO most) cases not usable for problem analysis.

My experience is otherwise; just look at how the kernel works in
practice.  People often post stack traces to the list, and it's
certainly not uncommon for problems to be fixed just based on this data.

The key phrase here is "many (IMO most) cases" which is YOUR experience;
but it's important to at least consider that your experience isn't
necessarily representative of everyone.  When was the last time you had
to diagnose a crash in gnome-shell with with our 100+ DSOs loaded?

There's a world of difference between "no stack trace" and "basic stack
trace".