default media size [Was: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo]

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed May 9 21:22:35 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 16:07 -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > > I know I've said this before, but: we should break the CD size
> > > barrier
> > > precisely so people can't burn things to CDs.  If you must burn
> > > optical media, do yourself a favor and burn a DVD, the reduced
> > > seek
> > > time
> > > is entirely worth it.
> >
> > I'd like to break CD limit too but we should not forgot there are
> > users
> > for which CD is top technology from dreams and we have a lot of
> > these
> > users among some countries... For me personally CD is history, even
> > DVD, same 1 GB flash drive. We can afford it. But some people can't
> > and are our users thanks to the ability to get a cheap OS, that can
> > run on cheap HW and is still modern.
> >
> > The question is - how many people will be affected? Or should we
> > provide some fallback option - stripped down CD media size image?
> > And
> > make the bigger one primary one?
>
> Even if all of your objections are true, and who knows, they might
> be:
> we already do provide alternatives.  The Live media is not the only
> install media.

Yep, it's not the only way, we even have our bigger offering already.
And yeah, let's break CD rule but first - let ask if it still apply
or not. Maybe it's my imagination and 3rd world is not anymore
interested in this :)

For example to Africa, we even do not ship CDs but DVDs - so at least,
most people have a DVD-ROM drive :) The reason is - network bandwidth
and Installation DVD fits more packages...

R.