Size of official media handouts (was Re: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo)

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon May 14 08:40:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 16:42 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.05.2012, 11:57 -0400 schrieb Adam Jackson:

> > > We could easily drop some of less-than-half-complete translations to
> > > make room for a bit of minidebuginfo. Last time I looked, translations,
> > > fonts, etc made up upwards of 25% of the livecd. Or we could just drop
> > > the obsolescent cdrom size limitation...
> >
> > I know I've said this before, but: we should break the CD size barrier
> > precisely so people can't burn things to CDs.  If you must burn to
> > optical media, do yourself a favor and burn a DVD, the reduced seek time
> > is entirely worth it.
> >
> > 1G fits on both the smallest MiniDVD format and most extant USB sticks.
> > Let's do it already.
>
> As an ambassador and former EMEA media wrangler I tend to agree.
>
> Currently both EMEA and NA only do dual layer DVDs, both for live and
> the installer. EMEA did separate installer vor i386 and x86_64, but
> after NA had no problems with exclusively providing dual layer, we
> decided to do the same.
>
> This being said I don't care how big we grow as long as we can still fit
> all 4 desktops (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE) in 2 arches each on one multi
> desktop live image. A dual layer DVD has a maximum capacity of 8.5 GB,
> so fitting 8 x 1 GB is not a problem.
>
> We might have to drop Sugar, but if only GNOME and KDE go for 1 GB and
> Xfce and LXDE still target 700 MB or less, we should even be able to
> keep it.

I understand that you want to ship isolated images for each of the
desktops in this combination image, as that is what is tested, etc.
However, there is gonna be a lot of duplicated bits in those images.
Can't we use some form of image where the duplicated blocks can be
shared. Seems like an obvious win to me.