Size of official media handouts (was Re: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo)

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Mon May 14 14:11:22 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 01:40 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I understand that you want to ship isolated images for each of the
> desktops in this combination image, as that is what is tested, etc.
> However, there is gonna be a lot of duplicated bits in those images.
> Can't we use some form of image where the duplicated blocks can be
> shared. Seems like an obvious win to me.

The format of an iso9660 directory makes it easy to share entire files:
just set the first sector number of the contiguous extent.  However
the multi-session aspect of the "all-in-one" platter might put each
session into its own "container", which might interfere with sharing
across sessions.  Intentional un-checked wrap-around comes to mind.