F16: Sandy Bridge -> lags, missing effects, ui-crashes

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue May 29 20:45:57 UTC 2012

On 05/27/2012 07:54 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Hi
>
> i notice growing problems on F16 with "Intel Sandy Bridge" graphics
>
> * desktop effects in KDE partly not working (3D cube as example)
>   this worked well over months after upgrade from F14 to F15 and
>
> * sometimes the whole desktop hangs with display errors
>   like missing parts of windows solveable mostly by logout
>   but sometimes resulting in a complete system hang

This happened to me too.
Apparently in normal situations (scrolling a window, ...), I was almost
suspecting a hardware bug.

> * lags while starting applications or activate windows
>   of running apps

Long lag (>5 seconds) while starting LibreOffice; the window is frozen
at half-transparency while appearing and nothing else updates
(clock is stuck).

Fully updated x86_64 F16.
Nothing logged by the kernel.

It surely happened with more than one kernel: last time was today with
3.3.6-3.fc16.x86_64.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Another thing, possibly related, long lag (20 seconds) when coming out of
suspend-to-ram; it seems to happen if I suspend on battery and resume with the
AC power connected (ACPI interaction???).

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it