F16: Sandy Bridge -> lags, missing effects, ui-crashes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue May 29 21:29:48 UTC 2012

Am 29.05.2012 22:45, schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
> On 05/27/2012 07:54 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> i notice growing problems on F16 with "Intel Sandy Bridge" graphics
>>
>> * desktop effects in KDE partly not working (3D cube as example)
>>   this worked well over months after upgrade from F14 to F15 and
>>
>> * sometimes the whole desktop hangs with display errors
>>   like missing parts of windows solveable mostly by logout
>>   but sometimes resulting in a complete system hang
>
> This happened to me too.
> Apparently in normal situations (scrolling a window, ...), I was almost
> suspecting a hardware bug.

definitly no hardware problem

the follwoing params making things better and stop especially
the lags most of the time, but on the same machine over a long
time was set to "pcie_aspm=force" and all i915 option at 1

"pcie_aspm=off i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 i915.semaphores=0 i915.i915_enable_fbc=0"

i think i have to mention taht VT-d is active in the BIOS and
i was wondering that it was stable because the combination of the
i915 options with VT-d (hardware supported virtualization IO) is
classified to be unstable

>> * lags while starting applications or activate windows
>>   of running apps
>
> Long lag (>5 seconds) while starting LibreOffice

yes, libreoffice is a majonr candidate for lags at startup

> the window is frozen
> at half-transparency while appearing and nothing else updates
> (clock is stuck).

exactly the same happening here on two different machines
with ident hardware

> Fully updated x86_64 F16.
> Nothing logged by the kernel.

here too

> It surely happened with more than one kernel: last time was today with
> 3.3.6-3.fc16.x86_64.

correct, but as said i see currently no way to figure out
what kernel started to introduce this and even if maybe all
of the F16 kernels are affected - dist-upgrade some months ago

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

welcome on board :-)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz