Rawhide

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Nov 4 00:32:20 UTC 2012

So, I have been thinking about rawhide.

I agree identifying the problems/issues would be good, and I think
there's something we can do to help with that:

Get a nice group of at least 10 or so folks who are active on this list
to agree to run it full time on their main machine.

As we get close to F18 release, I am considering moving my full time
laptop to rawhide. If I can get a group of folks to do likewise we can
at least identify issues faster and help each other as they come up.

Additionally, if some number of these folks who pledge to run rawhide
full time were provenpackagers we could just go in and fix things as
they hit (or soon after) instead of waiting a while for fixes to go
out.

I've run a rawhide vm/test machine here for many years. It's hit it's
share of problems, but none were insurmountable. Some of them might
have been for folks who were not more experienced tho, so increasing
communication around rawhide can only help, IMHO.

Additional thoughts to help rawhide:

- It's been suggested before, but could we practically keep N and N-1
  packages in rawhide repos? Then 'yum downgrade' becomes much more
  handy. Repodata size and mirror size might shoot that down though.

- Autoqa could perhaps help out, but I am not holding my breath. ;)

- Anaconda folks haven't wanted rawhide installer images as they cause
  people to report bugs on things when not ready, etc. However, could
  we build nightly cloud images at least? Those could help test things
  and won't require hitting the installer path.

- I'm sure there's more ideas to improve it...

I really think if we get a pool of savvy folks running it day to day we
should at least be able to identify the pain points. In my experience
with my test machine, rawhide has been pretty boring for the last two
cycles, if we can continue to make it so, perhaps the rolling release
folks might be able to find it usable.

kevin