Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 04:52:28 UTC 2012

On 11/10/2012 02:01 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 02:49 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> You're being pretty absurd comparing 2003 requirements to 2012
>>> requirements without allowing at all for hardware inflation.
>> People thinking like you are the reason why entire villages in China and
>> Africa are huge heavily-polluted landfills of electronic scrap material.

Kevin manufactures today don't built hardware to last more then 3 years
tops and actually the industry is moving towards to make them unfixable
as well
( cheaper to jus throw it away and give you a new one )

I think Germany is actually the only country that holds high standards
in that regards
( as in requiring manufactures to build appliance that lasts )

> That's so stupid it barely merits a response. But I'll humour you.
>
> We improve the ability of our hardware so we can improve the ability of
> our software. When designing modern software it does not make sense to
> design to the capabilities of a Commodore PET. A PC from nine years ago
> really is not a terribly different case.
>
> We are not designing an OS to be used to extend the life of ancient
> hardware for re-use in the developing world. That is a fine goal, but it
> is not really Fedora's goal. Our goal includes Features and First - i.e.
> we are pushing the envelope of what is possible. In doing this it is
> clearly appropriate to target the capabilities of contemporary hardware,
> not hardware built before George W. Bush's second term in office began.
>
> Modern software does not use more resources than old software because
> it's 'bloated' or because modern coders are lazy. It just uses the
> greater resources available to do better stuff. This is why hardware
> engineers work to make more resources available in the _first_ place. We
> could now list all the capabilities of modern code that code from 2003
> didn't have, but I really, really don't see the point.

Adam You seem to be failing to realize we have gone full circle now ;)
( think arm devices )

JBG