livemedia-creator and the fedora build system [was Re: appliance-creator: how can I ...]

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 14:30:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:17:53AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Many of the Koji builders are actually virtualized themselves now, so if the
> build process is planning to spin up a new VM, it needs to either be forced
> to run on a hardware builder (because I really can't believe that the
> install under full emulation will be a reasonable use of resources) or grow
> a new ability to spin up a remote cloud instance.

This just makes things a lot more complex.  I would measure the
resources needed before taking any steps like that, because as I said
before installers are I/O bound so as long as you use virtio you
should be fine.

Maybe one day we'll have good nested virt though ...

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top