itext 5.x

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:23:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, we can't have itext-5 in Fedora. Please see [1] and the
>> references therein. We could not update bouncycastle either, lately,
>> due to its incompatibility with itext-2. I have some patches that give
>> partial success with building itext-2 against the latest bouncycastle
>> API, but the build fails during the AOT bits compilation step. I am
>> not a java programmer and I eventually gave up working on it.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I dropped the maintainership for both bouncycastle and
>> itext-2 a couple months ago. To my knowledge, these packages are still
>> up for grabs.
>>
>> Best,
>> Orcan
>>

>> [1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2011-June/001653.html
>>

> Thanks for the information, Orcan.  Well, drat.  I guess I'll have to see if
> I can either downgrade the itext usage in the app I'm looking at, or excise
> it altogether.
>
> Can you send me your itext-2 patches?  I can't promise anything, but I'll
> see if I can get it working with the latest bouncycastle.  Thanks,

Hi Jerry,
Attached is my patch for itext-2 to compile against
bouncycastle*-1.47, and my SPEC files for bouncycastle*-1.47.

Note that the bouncycastle-tsp is renamed to bouncycastle-pkix in this
update, so one will need to submit a new review request and do the
proper obsoletes/provides. Also the dependency order has changed from
bouncycastle->bouncycastle-mail->bouncycastle-tsp
bouncycastle->bouncycastle-pkix->bouncycastle-mail.

You will notice that the SPEC files are not in the final format since
this is unfinished work, but I hope you can use them as a starting
point.

There used to be a page in the bouncycastle website that explained the
API changes between 1.46-1.47, but I could not find the link today.

Good luck,
Orcan