raising warning flag on firewalld-default feature

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Nov 14 08:47:16 UTC 2012

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 02:41:44PM +0000, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>>
>> It could be argued that python is more suited to long lived programs:
>>
>> $ time /bin/true
>> real	0m0.002s
>
> Hmmm:
>
> $ echo '' > true.ml
> $ ocamlopt.opt true.ml -o true
> $ time ./true
>
> real   0m0.002s
> user   0m0.000s
> sys    0m0.001s
>
> $ time /bin/true
>
> real   0m0.001s
> user   0m0.000s
> sys    0m0.001s
>
> This seems about right to me: Both ocamlopt & gcc generate native
> x86-64 programs, but there's a small amount of overhead in the OCaml
> binary (initializing the minor heap of the GC).

Just for fun, let's see who is the worst.

$ cat >JavaTrue.java
public class JavaTrue {
        System.exit(0);
    }
}
$ javac JavaTrue.java
$ time java -cp . JavaTrue

real    0m0.071s
user    0m0.037s
sys     0m0.035s

Hmmm. Slow and with a lot of sys...
Let's try compiling it to native.

$ gcj -o JavaTrue JavaTrue.java --main=JavaTrue
$ time ./JavaTrue

real    0m0.026s
user    0m0.016s
sys     0m0.010s

Good improvement, but still quite slow.

(OT: what a pity gcj is abandoned... great project)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it