RFC: Feature process improvements

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 14:28:52 UTC 2012

Dne 28.11.2012 21:08, Miloslav Trmač napsal(a):
> Hello,
> this proposal was recently linked in various places, so let's formally
> introduce it:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mmaslano/Feature_process
>
> This an incremental change, not a major overhaul designed to solve all problems.
>
> The benefits expected from this proposal:
> * Making proposed features more visible to Fedora contributors, and
> making it easier for Fedora contributors to discuss the feature before
> FESCo votes on it.
> * Simplifying the process for self-contained features (e.g. individual
> package version upgrades)
> * Getting FESCo more involved in scheduling and testing of features
> with large impact on the rest of the distribution or schedule.
> * Making sure some frequently forgotten-about items, like rel-eng
> impact, are included in the feature proposal.
>
> For details, please see the proposal at the above-mentioned link.
>      Marcela Mašláňová, Tomáš Mráz, Jaroslav Řezník, Miloslav Trmač

The problem with current feature process is that it expects that every
feature is dangerous and breaks whole distribution. Therefore there have
to be some authority, which approves and tries to limit damages.

I'd love to see the feature process to be turned opposite, i.e. make the
feature auto-approved as default. It could look like:

1) Package maintainer proposes feature
2) Feature Wrangler reviews sanity of the feature and announces the
feature on fedora-devel{,announce}.
3) There might be some period, let say one week, for community review
and discussion (of course this period might get extended for some
controversial features)
4a) If there is no response, or positive response, the feature is
approved/accepted by Feature Wrangler
4b) If the feature is controversial, anybody is allowed to open ticket
for FESCo to discuss the feature and possibly make and advice or decision.

This approach would have several significant advantages:

1) Features would be more visible to overall fedora developer community.
Although currently they are not secrete, they are neither visible as
they could be.
2) The features are accepted by default, no formal approval is needed.
FESCo would just need to concerned about some controversial features.

Disadvantage:

1) More work/responsibility for Feature Wrangler?

Note that this proposal endorses the "Why" [1], which is IMO the biggest
benefit of feature process.

Vít

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Why